Thursday, November 1, 2007

What I've done lately

OK, so I have recently been busy in the world of school, my 2 jobs, and the projects. I have been pondering on rather or not to finish the Simple Browser by the end of November or just wait until the official release of Visual Studio 2008, and see if it can offer me anything else that I don't already utilize in the Beta 2 Release.

In respect to the Game Engine "What If Mode" I have been asking myself what's the correct API, and library to use, so the development of 2D games are with ease. I have decided to use SDL just because it has the ability of Networking, font, image loading, networking, and input; However, I need a good API that really utilizes the Hardware, and renders the graphics, animation, etc.. Quick as possible while maintaining the elegance, and beauty I would like to keep in the game; Simply put have no lag.

Since this was a question of much concern; I have been playing around with OpenGL and DirectX at the same time. Yes, it may sound a little daunting, confusing, and almost impossible to be experimenting with both API's at the same time, but I have some how managed, and I'll continue to experiment, and test out both of these API's until I am comfortable with the API I would like to use in the game engine. As of now it's most likely going to be Dx.

A couple of new ideas that have sprung up for my game engine has really just been by studying, and playing the hell out of Nintendo DS games. I like 2D Nintendo Games; Especially Mario. The innovations in Nintendo Games is something else, and if I can mimic that, or transfer to the PC a fun-like gaming experience that Nintendo offers on their systems for the PC by single player, or online then I'll be able to say that I have accomplished the goal of this game engine.

No comments: